COVID 19 IMPORTANT INFORMATION
At Glasnevin Trust we recognise that burials and cremations constitute a critical service to the public. It is vital therefore that these activities continue during the COVID-19 pandemic at each of our locations: Glasnevin, Newlands Cross, Palmerstown, Dardistown and Goldenbridge.
Furthermore, Glasnevin Trust holds close to 200 years of tradition in this area, and through other epidemics, pandemics and times of difficultly, we have held an enduring commitment to uphold the dignity of the deceased and their families at times of burial.
Equally, we must ensure that we protect our staff and we must also play our part in protecting the general public in delaying the spread of COVID-19.
Following the issue of Government directives on social gatherings, cultural institutions and workplace safety and following consultation with the Coroner’s Office and issue of HSE directives relating to funerals, we have made the following changes to our operations:
Public Access to Sites
Glasnevin Cemetery is open to the public via the pedestrian entrance only at the junction with Slaney Road from 12.30 pm – 3.30 pm Monday through to Saturday to facilitate grave visits. Pedestrian access to the St. Paul’s section will also be available during these times.
The main gate is open between 1.30 pm and 3.30 pm for vehicle access for those with mobility issues for grave visitation only.
Pedestrian access is also available in Dardistown, Newlands, and Palmerstown cemeteries for grave visits only. To comply with Government guidelines, we request that only people who live within a 5 km radius of Glasnevin Trust cemeteries visit graves during this phase of restrictions.
The ongoing restrictions on public access outside of these hours in Glasnevin Cemetery are necessary as a result of the significant and strict preparations required for the burial of remains with dignity and respect while adhering to public health guidelines for staff and funeral parties during the Covid-19 pandemic. The grave visitation hours have been chosen as they present the lowest risk to the public.
Strict social distancing protocols must be observed at all times during the grave visitation hours. We would ask people not to enter Glasnevin Cemetery during these hours unless specifically visiting a grave.
For more information on opening hours for grave visits please contact Glasnevin Trust via [email protected]
We can assure the public and loved ones of those who are resting with us that once it is safe to do so, we will once again return to normal opening times.
- Glasnevin Cemetery Museum and the Tower cafe are closed until further notice. All tours and events for the foreseeable future have been cancelled.
- The Trust Florist outlets at: Dardistown, Glasnevin and Newlands Cross are closed until further notice.
- Glasnevin Trust Monument Works Sales offices and showroom are closed until further notice.
Protocol for Burials, Cremations and Funeral Services
- We will implement the HSE restrictions on strictly immediate family only to attend either burials or cremations, with strict social distancing
- Where funeral arrangements are being made directly by a family, the family should designate a single point of contact. Where the deceased died of COVID-19, we ask that where possible, this person should not have been in close contact with the deceased.
- We will implement the HSE requirement in the case where the deceased has died of COVID-19, the coffin must remain closed in cemeteries and cremations. This is a mandatory requirement and no viewing of the body may take place at any Glasnevin Trust location, for public health reasons.
- In addition to observing hand-washing, respiratory hygiene and social distancing, our staff have been instructed not to engage in hand-shaking and we advise that attendees at funerals also refrain from hand-shaking.
- We are required to suspend the use of condolence books on our premises. The HSE recommends that people issue condolences through social media, online websites, text or by letter.
Social Distancing and Hygiene
- Social distancing measures are in place in each of these locations in addition to our reception areas, crematoriums, public toilet and staff areas.
- Hand sanitisers (subject to stock levels) will be available in all areas used by the public and our staff.
- We are increasing our cleaning protocols in our crematoriums, reception areas, café, toilet facilities and staff areas, including disinfection of door handles and counters at frequent intervals.
- We will continue the clear delineation of toilets for members of the public and staff.
The COVID-19 pandemic is an unprecedented and evolving situation. We will update our website with other operational changes as they arise.
We recognise that some of these changes will impact on the experience of the funeral services that families would have otherwise wanted. However, we trust that the public will understand that these changes are Government mandated, so that Glasnevin Trust can both protect our staff and support the national effort to delay the spread of COVID-19.