Glasnevin Trust Careers
Job Title: HR Manager
Location: Glasnevin Trust, Glasnevin Cemetery
Reports To: Dublin Deputy Chief Executive Officer
Salary / Remuneration: €50-55k
Job Status: Three Year Contract
About Glasnevin Trust
Glasnevin Trust is the largest provider of funeral services in Ireland serving 1,900 burials and 2,100 cremations annually. The Group also provides florist and monument works services to the bereaved. The Trust is run by an executive management team and governed by the Dublin Cemeteries Committee, a voluntary not-for-profit body originally established by Daniel O'Connell in 1828. The Committee was subsequently re-established under the Dublin Cemeteries Committee Acts of 1846 and 1970. The Trust's mission today remains as it was handed down from Daniel O'Connell; "to bury people of all religions and none".
The Trust operates five cemeteries: Dardistown, Glasnevin, Goldenbridge, Newlands Cross and Palmerstown as well as two crematoria at Glasnevin and Newlands Cross. From the opening of its first cemetery in Goldenbridge in 1828 through to the most recent at Newlands Cross in 2000, Glasnevin Trust has been at the heart of the nation as it embraces the remains of so many patriots and others, who have and will in the future, frame the country's history and culture.
Glasnevin Trust is looking to recruit a senior HR Manager to join its management team to provide HR leadership to the organisation and to implement the Trust’s Human Resource strategies.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Executive and working closely with the senior management team, the role of the HR Manager is to oversee the delivery of a professional, high quality HR service to the organisation. The HR Manager is responsible for effectively managing the day-to-day activities of the HR function through the provision of an efficient HR Service to the organisation.
The HR Manager is expected to serve as a HR partner for all locations, providing HR leadership and coaching for managers and employees in order to create high performing and harmonious units. The HR Manager will lead the implementation of a range of HR policies procedures that are legislatively compliant and that reflect best practice. The successful candidate will be required to exercise sound judgment to drive the provision of practical, solution focussed, hands on and timely support to the delivery of consistent HR practices across the organisation.
Working closely with the Deputy CEO, the senior management team and the wider HR Department, a critical aspect of the HR Manager will be to develop and implement a HR plan to ensure the delivery and implementation of the organisation’s HR Strategy 2015 - 2018.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement HR plans that are in line with the organisation’s overall vision, mission and strategic direction in order to drive the delivery of the Trust’s HR Strategy.
- Assist senior and line management in identifying the HR implications associated with meeting organisational objectives.
- Monitor HR strategies and initiatives on an ongoing basis to support the delivery of organisational objectives.
- Regularly benchmark the organisation’s HR capability against best practice approaches to ensure to implementation of continuous standards of excellence.
- Partner with the Execution on reward and recognition strategies to ensure that the appropriate pay and non-pay incentives are in place to attract, retain and adequately reward staff.
Policy Development and Implementation
- Ensure that the organisation’s policies and procedures are fully compliant with emerging best practice and employment law requirements and advise on the implications of changes for the organisation.
- Deliver and implement, on an ongoing basis, policies and procedures in relation to all aspects of HR management including resourcing (HR planning, recruitment and retention), employee relations (disciplinary and grievance, staff consultation and communication), employee reward (pay, terms and conditions), employee development (staff development, performance management).
- Administer the delivery of hands on HR processes to ensure adherence to HR policies and procedures.
- Monitor and implement initiatives to maintain high levels of employee engagement supported by evidence based data.
- Ensure that induction, probation and performance management requirements are carried out on an ongoing basis across the organisation.
HR Management & Support
- Keep the Executive appraised of key HR information through regular, proactive and structured updates.
- Manage the IR / ER agenda in tandem with the Executive to proactively drive the early resolution of staffing issues and maintain harmonious staff relations.
- Operate as a resource for managers and provide HR leadership and coaching for both managers and employees.
- Manage the end-to-end recruitment and selection process in conjunction with hiring managers to provide a cost effective and efficient service to attract talent into the organisation.
- Work with senior and line management on the delivery of workforce planning to enable the organisation to deliver adequate resourcing levels and to maintain succession planning.
- Partner with line management to develop competency based employee development programmes that align organisational and individual needs.
- Responsible for the delivery of all aspects of Health and Safety training on an ongoing basis and liaising with the Health and Safety Coordinator to ensure that the Trust’s Health and Safety requirements are met.
- Manage direct reports to ensure the delivery of individual and team service levels.
- Champion the HR function and act as an ambassador for the Trust both internally and externally.
Systems and Administration
- Manage the Payroll function to ensure that accurate, robust and timely data is collated and communicated to the Finance function for payments, including ROS returns and Opera Journals.
- Maintain up to date and accurate employee records and generate detailed reports as required.
- Design and implement key service level agreements with units on HR deliverables in order to maintain and improve standards on an ongoing basis.
- Conduct periodic HR Audits to ensure that robust, efficient and effective HR procedures are in place.
- Act as a trustee to the Glasnevin Trust pension scheme.
- Actively participate as a member of the pensions sub-committee of the Board of Glasnevin Trust.
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications / Experience
- A relevant 3rd level qualification in HR Management or a related discipline.
- CIPD qualified.
- At least three years’ experience of leading and developing staff at HR manager level.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to influence employees and stakeholders at all levels.
- Previous experience of developing and implementing organisational review and restructure programmes.
- Experience of policy development and implementation.
- Knowledge of employment law and HR practice including employee relations, recruitment,
- pay and benefits, HR systems, contracts and statutory requirements, diversity and performance management.
Skills and Attributes
- Able to demonstrate good attention to detail, good judgement showing logical decision making and a hands on approach.
- Excellent time management skills with a focus on customer service.
- Systems – strong working knowledge of HR and payroll systems and processes.
- Excellent MS Office skills.
- An ability to manage conflict and problem solve.
- Commitment to equal opportunities.
Interested candidates should submit a detailed CV and cover letter to [email protected]
All informal or formal queries should be directed to Liam MacNamee on 01 5613594.
Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 5pm on Friday, 3rd February 2017.
Glasnevin Trust is an equal opportunities employer