Bealtaine 2019 at Glasnevin Cemetery Museum
The Bealtaine Festival celebrates creativity as we age. It is run by Age and Opportunity, the organisation that promotes active and engages living as we get older. This year Glasnevin Cemetery Museum will host a tour and workshop as part of the festival programme. Keep reading for details and booking.
Tour: Be Introduced to a Unique Chapter of History
Date: Friday, May 24th
During this tour
• Explore the fascinating origins of Glasnevin Cemetery which opened in 1832
• Discover more about Ireland's 'Liberator' and the founder of the cemetery - Daniel O' Connell
• Learn about the experiences of Irish Jesuit Fr. Michael Morrison, who in 1945, was among the first troops to liberate Bergen-Belsen concentration camp
• 'Gather round poor Zozimus' and hear the tale of this Dublin poet, rhymer and reciter
• Visit the grave of James Joyce's parents and find out about the many connections between Glasnevin Cemetery and Joyce's Ulysses And much more........
Entry is free however booking is essential.
Workshop: An Introduction to Your Family History
Date: Saturday, May 25th
Time: 2:00pm - 3.00pm
Do you want to get started on your family tree but don't have a clue where to begin? Are you in the process of piecing the history of your ancestors together and need a little guidance on some best practice? Our genealogy workshops are the perfect place to do just that. Here at Glasnevin, we are in possession of 1.6 million burial records belonging to each and every person who has been buried here since 1832. Lynn Brady, our resident genealogist, has overseen the digitisation of these records and helps people from as close as Cabra and as far away as Canberra uncover their family story using this incredible resource on a daily basis. She will host this workshop where you will learn the following:
• How to assess the elements within the Glasnevin Trust records
• How they can help you with your own research • How to navigate our online genealogy database when you are doing your work at home
• How to access our records
• How to assess birth, marriage and death records
• How to access and assess census records In this workshop, you will also learn about details to watch out for in the various records that you won't find on the internet, the kind of knowledge that only a seasoned genealogist such as Lynn can depart!
Your ticket includes:
• A genealogy resource pack
• A guide to the Glasnevin records
• A complimentary voucher worth €10.00 to use on the Glasnevin database
The workshop lasts for about an hour with time for Q & A afterwards.