The first burial in Glasnevin Cemetery was in 1832. Since then people of all and non religions have been buried in Glasnevin Cemetery which includes the St Pauls section across the Finglas Rd.
An ongoing Restoration programme began in 2007 with the aim of restoring the great necropolis of Glasnevin Cemetery to the pristine glory of the early 1900s. Estimated to take 10 years, the completion date is due in time for the 2016 Easter Rising centenary celebrations. This programme spearheaded by Glasnevin Trust, is funded by the National Development Plan (NDP) through the Office of Public Works (OPW).
Glasnevin Cemetery still has new grave plots available.
Cremation Service at Glasnevin Crematorium
Family and friends meet and wait outside the Chapel in Glasnevin for the funeral cortege to arrive. After the cortege arrives and everything is ready the coffin enters the church followed by the family and mourners. Music is often played as the coffin arrives and is placed at the top of the Church. When everyone is seated the service begins, if the family requests music then the service starts as the music ends.
The style and length of service depends on what has been arranged at the booking stage. Each service is allocated a time slot of 20 mins.
In Glasnevin towards the end of the service a light curtain slowly closes across the front of the coffin still offering visibility to the family and time to say goodbye. Lights over the coffin start to dim and this is followed by a second curtain which removes the coffin from view and if requested is accompanied by music signifying the end of the service.
The nameplate on the coffin is carefully checked with the Cremation Order to verify the identity. Only one coffin is cremated at a time, the only exceptions are special requests on behalf of a mother and baby or twin children. A system is devised to ensure identification is carried with the deceased throughout the entire cremation process. Glasnevin Trust represents best practice in legislation and guidelines on cremation.
The columbarium allows the placing of cremated remains into niches, each with a front section incorporating a memorial plaque. The cremated remains are placed behind the plaque in urns which are specifically designed for this purpose. The memorial plaque is engraved with an inscription.
Each niche accommodates one or two cremated remains. Families may visit the Cemetery to choose a niche which best suits or our experienced staff will make the selection on your behalf. At the time of cremation it is possible to reserve spaces in the Columbarium Wall alongside a family member.
Garden of Remembrance
The Garden of Remembrance is designed to reflect miniature burial grounds where cremated remains are interred in ground vaults.
Above each vault a memorial stone can be inscribed with the name and date of death of the deceased. As with the Columbarium Wall, it is also possible to reserve space in the Garden of Remembrance alongside a family member.
We have introduced a new form of memorialisation following cremation. This monument is for inscriptions of loved ones where families have taken the remains away for private disposal and may wish to have the name and date of their loved one inscribed on this memorial stone. If families wish they can scatter cremated remains in the vicinity of the Remembrance Stone.
Urns, Caskets & Keepsakes
There is a wealth of choice for those who wish to keep ashes in a decorative urns, caskets or keepsakes. Glasnevin Trust has an exclusive selection available to purchase from our cemetery offices at Glasnevin & Newlands Cross.
Contacts & Location
Glasnevin Cemetery, Crematorium & Florist
Finglas Road, Dublin 11
Office Manager: Maureen Clarke
Crematorium Manager: David Thompson
P: + 353 (0) 1 882 6500 | F: + 353 (0) 1 830 1594
Burial / Cremation Office Opening hours
Mon – Fri: 9.30am to 5.00pm
Sat: 9.30am to 1.00pm
Access to Glasnevin Cemetery grounds
Mon – Sun: 9.00am to 6.00pm